Saturday, March 1, 2008

The morning breaks

I have many favorite hymns. And through the various times and seasons of my life, different hymns speak to my soul in ways that strengthen my faith, fill me with love and thanksgiving, draw me closer to my Savior, and bring me peace. Some hymns remind me of important truths about life and God's tender mercies toward me and my family. And others celebrate His dealings with His children, centering often and appropriately in His redemptive sacrifice as Savior and Redeemer, but ranging also from the glorious restoration of His gospel in these latter days to His interventions in our daily lives to His anticipated and approaching Second Coming.

In this maiden post I reflect on one of my favorite hymns, a hymn text that celebrates the dawning of a brighter day, the breaking of a glorious new morning, the literal opening of the heavens as a part of the latter-day restoration of the gospel of Jesus Christ. A phrase from the hymn serves as the theme and title of my blog.

"The Morning Breaks" comes from a poem written by Parley P. Pratt (1807-1857):

The morning breaks, the shadows flee;
Lo, Zion's standard is unfurled!

The dawning of a brighter day
Majestic rises on the world.


The clouds of error disappear
Before the rays of truth divine;
The glory bursting from afar

Wide o'er the nations soon shall shine.

The Gentile fulness now comes in,

And Israel's blessings are at hand.
Lo, Judah's remnant, cleansed from sin,
Shall in their promised Canaan stand.

Jehovah speaks! Let earth give ear,
And Gentile nations turn and live.
His mighty arm is making bare
His cov'nant people to receive.

Angels from heaven and truth from earth
Have met, and both have record borne;
Thus Zion's light is bursting forth
To bring her ransomed children home.


This hymn celebrates the opening of the latter-day dispensation of the gospel of Jesus Christ, beginning in the spring of 1820 when the Father and the Son appeared to the boy prophet Joseph Smith. I think it appropriate, therefore, that it also appear as the opening hymn in the current Latter-day Saint hymnal (published in 1985) as hymn number 1.



3 comments:

Eliza said...

Also one of my favorite hymns, especially when sung by the MoTabs. It instantly brings up thoughts and feelings of General Conference (one of my favorite times of the year) to me.

Love the new blog!

mary plus vince said...

Love your new blog Dad, I'm excited to read your thoughts + feelings about this gospel! You are a great example! Love you!

K2 said...

Great idea! I will really enjoy reading this blog. It reminds me when I got the newsletter and read Thoughts from Dad. I've always considered you one of my other dads. Love you too!